Pulsing electromagnetic field (PEMF) therapy is a useful form of complementary and alternative medical treatment for a wide array of conditions. Common clinical applications of this method include therapy for fractures, wounds, back pain, sports injuries, and heart disease. More recent applications involve treating chronic headaches. PEMF therapy can benefit people who are experiencing migraines and other types of headache disorders as it improves blood circulation in the brain. Research reveals that the pain produced by migraines is related to uneven distribution of blood flow in certain areas of the brain, and PEMF therapy greatly dilates blood vessels in this region, thus improving circulation and reducing migraine pain and associated symptoms.
What are Migraines?
Migraines are excruciatingly painful headaches that give rise to extreme nausea and sensitivity to even slight disturbances of the sufferer’s senses of sight, hearing, and sometimes touch. They are the third most common health disorder in the world, affecting the lives of millions of people globally and causing sufferers to retire to their beds in darkened rooms until the headaches subside. Migraines are the most frequent form of headache for which patients seek medical advice and treatment today.
Studies on the origins of migraine attacks suggest that the brains of migraine sufferers are impaired in terms of the following functions:
- Cerebral circulation
- Activity of the brain stem
- Activity of the cerebral cortex
- Activity in the system of nerve cells that regulate emotion, arousal, and memory.
Thus, migraine attacks involve a number of different brain structures and neurotransmitters, and the symptoms include:
- A pounding or throbbing sensation in the head
- Sensitivities to light, sound, and vibration
- Occasional sensitivity to touch
- Extreme nausea.
PEMF Offers a Breakthrough Migraine and Headache Treatment Method
Considering the great discomfort and disruption to daily life that migraine attacks can cause, several treatment methods have been introduced over the years, including over-the-counter painkillers, such as aspirin, paracetamol, and ibuprofen, which can help to reduce the symptoms. However, there is now strong evidence to support using PEMF as an alternative therapy for treating migraines that can go to the root of the condition and produce more long-lasting relief than symptom-attacking medications can provide.
The Benefits of PEMF Migraine Therapy
Some of the numerous advantages of PEMF as a migraine and headache treatment modality are as follows:
- Can be applied to specific areas of the brain to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines
- Attacks the root cause of migraines and headaches instead of just their symptoms
- Uses convenient pillows or mats as applicators that cover large areas of the body and brain to provide relief
- Offers an effective and affordable long-term treatment option
- Can greatly improve the quality of life of migraine sufferers and free them to return to their normal daily routines
- Treats acute migraine attacks quickly and effectively without the need for medications
- Significantly reduces or eliminates the number of patients’ migraine days
- Does away with the need to retreat to darkened rooms for hours until attacks subside
- Avoids the experience of forgetfulness, grogginess, and other troublesome side effects associated with many migraine medications.
PEMF is so effective because instead of just alleviating symptoms, it improves the circulation of blood to the brain and other parts of the body and also has a powerful hormone-balancing effect, thus eliminating migraine pain and improving overall cognitive and physical function. The low-frequency pulsed electromagnetic fields generated by PEMF allow the muscles, nerves, and blood vessels to relax, and this overall relaxation in turn allows the blood to flow more effectively to the brain, reducing the frequency of migraines and providing long-lasting pain relief. For these reasons, PEMF is an excellent method for treating migraines and other types of headaches.
PEMF therapy is easy to fit into one’s daily routine, and with its powerful therapeutic effects is a highly reliable way to treat the root cause of migraines and headaches not just their symptoms. PEMF is also a non-invasive and drug-free form of therapy that complements other treatment methods and, together with regular exercise and a healthy diet, can aid in accelerating the healing process over a lifetime. Learn more by calling our office. We are here to help you learn about the benefits of PEMF therapy, as well as offering it to those who can be helped by it.